Cy-Fair Rugby Takes Down St. Thomas


By: Julius Kelly, Reporter

After a deep push into the playoffs last year, Cy-Fair’s rugby team gets back in business. February 8th, they played an away game against the St. Thomas Eagles to start off the regular season, in which they defeated the Eagles 76-10 to start off 1-0 for the season

Cy-Fair started the game receiving the ball in the first half. St. Thomas’ dropkick didn’t reach 10 yards which led to a scrum center. Cy-Fair won the scrum and the scrum half picked up the ball from the scrum for a 40 yard gain. Hooker Julius Kelly finished the job, and scored the try from 10 yards out. Fullback Clayton Crist followed the try with a 50 yard try of his own from a pass from captain James Luecke. Later in the first half, Cy-Fair gave up a penalty to St.Thomas and they chose to kick the ball into touch for their lineout. Cy-fair’s lock Leon Best stole their lineout and popped it down to scrumhalf Jeremy Day. He then box kicked the ball to a trailing Riley Hooser for the 70 meter try.

After Hooser’s try, the Eagles decided to kick the ball back to him. He took the ball down to their 30 yard line before he was stopped. Scrumhalf Jeremy Day flicked the ball out to James Luecke who sliced through the defense to put five more points on the board. St. Thomas then made a push into Cy-Fair territory after Luecke’s try, but fell short when flanker Nathan White stripped the ball, and rumbled and stubbled 85 yards for the score.

Not too long after that try, White came back to put another try on his stat sheet. Shortly after, Captain Luecke takes the ball from the fly half position and scores his second try of the game. The first half ends with another Cy-Fair try from winger Jimmy Heyward streaking down the sideline to put the score to 66-0 going into halftime.

The second half wasn’t as eventful as the first,only two tries were scored. Luecke scored one at the start of the second half, and Kelly scored one not long after. In the second half, St.Thomas put two scores on the board to avoid the shutout. The game ended with St.Thomas moving the ball to keep the play alive, but Cy-Fair tackled them into touch to end the game. The Warriors started the season on the right foot. They are looking to continue their success on Friday Feb. 16 as they take on Lamar’s rugby club at Fun Stadium.